Communications/Writing/Editing/Web Development/Web Content Management
Internal Communications Editor/Writer & Web Content Manager
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston
(July '07-May '12)
- Was responsible for developing internal content for a variety of channels, including traditional print newsletter, intranet, e-mail, electronic bulletin boards, and online community.
- Raised internal communications function to more professional level for newly created Office of Communications. Adopting Associated Press Style, improved level of writing and editing.
- Working closely with graphic design team, re-designed and re-named employee newsletter (Currents).
- Acted as chief content editor of BosWeb (intranet) homepage. Worked with BosWeb technical manager to provide direction for BosWeb’s IT team. Supported usability testing; assisted in enhancement testing.
- Given staffing challenges, adopted distributed content-management model for intranet content posting on BosWeb, enabling departments to control content of and timing of messages.
- Acted as Office of Communications’ primary liaison to stable of more than 40 content editors. Communicated with editors via e-mail, blog, content editors’ online community, and quarterly meetings. Was responsible for developing meeting agenda, and running meetings, which typically involve 35-40 editors.
- Developed monthly BosWeb e-mail digest, BosWeb Buzz, which summarizes key intranet news.
- Supported public Web site manager by posting, editing content for clients with diverse business needs.
- Assisted with social media, media relations, and government relations outreach.
- Proofread annual report. Wrote appreciation piece about retiring First VP Paul Connolly for 2011 report.
- For three years, compiled economic/finance news for bank executives, delivered via e-mail each day.
Web Content Management/Development/Usability Specialist
Liberty Mutual Group: Agency Markets
- Managed content development, content flow, and usability for 24 Web sites, including insurance agent extranets, consumer sites and intranets. Drafted, edited and posted content.
- Provided content development, usability and technical support for 10 subsidiaries located throughout the nation.
- Built numerous sub-sites for a variety of clients (within a pre-existing, rigid template system).
- Co-developed and managed Competitive Intelligence Center.
- Played role in Agency Markets intranet redesign by developing new site architecture, producing several design
options, and conducting testing.
- Aided in conversion of eight consumer sites from the ColdFusion environment to the ContentServer environment by
proofreading content, and by applying usability and information-architecture guidelines during the testing phase.
Internal Communications/Publications Specialist/Manager
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (DFCI)
(March '03-May '05)
Photo by Joe O'Shea
|A view of the Dana-Farber Cancer
Institute's Smith Building from Jimmy Fund Way.
- Developed, wrote, edited and updated content for DFCI Online intranet and Inside the Institute employee newsletter.
- As associate editor, helped to plan and produce Inside the Institute , an eight-page newsletter, every two weeks.
- As individual contributor and as part of team, developed and executed communications plans for 2003 staff survey, core values campaign, intranet redesign, strategic plan and 2004 Democratic National Convention.
- Worked with various internal clients to determine communications needs – including audience, key messages, tone, etc. – and draft suitable communications plans in very challenging political culture.
- Executing such plans included: interviewing doctors, nurses, researchers, and administrators before drafting content; working with designers to create concepts and copy for posters, table tents, bookmarks, adhesive notes, pens and other items; designing and producing posters and intranet graphics; and managing freelance photographers.
Writer/Editor/Web Developer/Public Relations
(June '99-Feb. '03)
- Aided in the re-launch and maintenance of Palm, Inc.'s corporate intranet; wrote and edited content for various internal publications, e-publications and events; and created various electronic communications vehicles.
|After a long hike through a rain forest on St. Croix, USVI, we stopped for lunch -- and to admire the view.
- Built Web site for Irish Cultural Centre's 2002 Irish Festival. Placed features on WFXT-TV and WB-TV news.
- Wrote lengthy feature and Q&A on Boston Celtic great Bill Russell
for BJ's Journal.
- Travel-writing assignments include pieces on St. Croix, U.S.V.I.;
Key West, Fla.; and Orlando, Fla.
- Acted as assistant editor of The Hockey Magazine, The Official Fan Magazine of the National Hockey League.
- Developed Web sites for Milton Monument Company and A Feast of Irish
- Editorial clients included Reebok, Northeastern University, NStar, NHL.com for Kids, The Boston Herald , The MetroWest Daily News , BJ's Wholesale Club, New England Sports Network, and AAA Horizons. Handled media relations for Holy Cross Family Ministries, and Web maintenance for the Irish Cottage retail firm.
Public Affairs Associate
(March '96-June '99)
- Wrote, laid out and edited bi-weekly employee newsletter; handled
media relations; proofread; managed freelance photographers; acted
as photo historian; and produced annual fact book. Aided in commencement
- Placed story in The Boston Sunday Globe Magazine. Other placements
included the Boston Herald, The Boston Globe, The MetroWest Daily
News, Boston Business Journal, regional/local newspapers, New England
Cable News, WBZ-TV, WCVB-TV, WHDH-TV, WSBK-TV, FOX-TV, WLVI-TV, WEEI-AM
Public Relations Writer/Consultant
(May '95-Feb. '96)
- McKay Fried & Partners: Wrote, edited and produced monthly Waves
magazine for the South Shore Chamber of Commerce (SSCC), and a monthly
newsletter for the Mass. State Automobile Dealers. Also cultivated
media coverage for Sunnyside Ford and the SSCC; handled some government
relations for the SSCC.
- Parker, Nichols & Company: Handled media relations, maintained
editorial calendar, scheduled and conducted press tour in New York
City. Generated coverage for BBN Planet, Early Cloud, IBM, Four Seasons
and Art Tech. Group.
|On a soft adventure assignment
to Orlando, Fla., I took part in my first cattle roundup.
David P. Monti Public Relations
(Feb. '94-Feb. '95)
- Researched, wrote and edited concise press release, advertisement,
brochure and direct mail copy for five accounts. Drafted activity
schedules, budgets. Conducted media campaign for Warwick, R.I., mayoral
candidate Mike Brophy.
News Tribune/Daily Transcript/Harte-Hanks Community Newspapers
- Wrote and edited human interest and sports features, game stories,
sidebars and columns for two daily newspapers.
- Laid out sports section for two weeklies.
Part-time Freelance Writing
New England Patriots Football Weekly
- Objectively covered all games, wrote feature stories and helped
to determine editorial direction. Game coverage consisted of pre-game
research, game observations, post-game interviews, statistical analysis
and the writing of a 1,500-word game story or sidebar within hours
after the contest.
- Acted as a correspondent for WBPS-AM show, Sports Break.
Super Bowl XXXI Week
On assignment for New England Patriots Football Weekly
New Orleans, La.
|On Super Bowl XXXI Media Day in
- Aided editor in developing Super Bowl issue content. Also generated
daily stories by attending press conferences, Super Bowl Media Day
and Super Bowl XXXI. Networked with international media.
- More notable stories included Super Bowl XXXI game story, a reflective
piece on media concerns during Super Bowl Week, a feature on cornerback
Ricky Reynolds, and a diary/color piece on New Orleans.
- Wrote cover feature on Patriots head coach Bill Parcells for New
England Sport magazine.
- Wrote feature on Patriots linebacker Todd Collins for Gridiron,
a national publication devoted to pro football.
- Other credits include Polaroid's Update newsletter, The Patriot
Ledger, Denton (Texas) Record-Chronicle, AAA Horizons, NESN's Sportscircuit.com,
The Improper Bostonian, Boston Baseball and Eagle Action.
- Freelance Writer/Reporter/Editor
* Wrote cover feature on Patriots head coach Bill Parcells for New England Sport magazine.
* Wrote feature on Patriots linebacker Todd Collins for Gridiron, a national pro football publication.
* Other credits include Polaroid's Update newsletter, The Patriot Ledger, Denton (Texas) Record-Chronicle, AAA Horizons, New England Sports Network, The Improper Bostonian, Boston Baseball and Eagle Action.
By Joe O'Shea
|One of the Burns Library's gothic towers on the Boston College campus.
- Boston College Chestnut Hill, Mass.
Chestnut Hill, Mass.
B.A. in English, School of Arts & Sciences
- Clark University Computer Career Institute
Master Certificate in Web Development
- Northeastern University
Web Site Portfolio Web Site Portfolio
- On Behalf of a Grateful Nation (2006)
- A Feast of Irish Music (2002)
- Irish Festival (2002)
- Milton Monument (2001)
- Software/programming: HTML, XHTML, HTML 5, XML, CSS 3, Dreamweaver, Flash, Contribute, Web Edit Pro, ContentServer, Project, Access, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, FrontPage, Outlook, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, QuarkXPress, Windows OS, Mac OS, iOS, Palm OS.
- Hardware: Adept with various PCs, Macs, laptops, smartphones, digital cameras, and video cameras.
- Social media: Comfortable with LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter.
- Boston College Alumni Association
- Xaverian Bros. High School Alumni Association
- Clan MacDougall Society member
- International Association of Business Communicators